Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thoughts on schooling

I've recently been reading an excellent book, Weapons of Mass Instruction, by John Taylor Gatto, and it's gotten me thinking about what I've learned. As you probably know, I'm homeschooled, and I love it. Still, I've noticed something odd. The subjects that I know in-depth have not been a major part of our curriculum. Economics, for instance. Last year it was a part of our "official" school, but I knew most of what we learned already thanks to independent study.

Global warming, another subject I know fairly well, has not been in the curriculum at all. Almost all of my knowledge about it came from my own interests and spare time, and doing my own research. Then there's government. Again, it was a subject last year, but most of my knowledge about it was gained independently of the curriculum. Then, of course, there's Abraham Lincoln and the War for Southern Independence. That has never been a subject, but it's my specialty.

I'm not trying to bash our curriculum - I think it's great - but I can't help but notice that my best areas are not taught primarily in "school." This actually, as pointed out by Gatto, is the case with most successful people, whether statesmen or businessmen. School might be a good foundation depending on the curriculum, but it WILL NOT lead to success. Education is the key, not schooling, and there is a difference. What I've come to believe is that education is rarely provided by a school curriculum, rather it is provided by one's own studies and experiences. In fact, from what I can tell, most schools, especially public, are actually designed to SUPPRESS education, and instead create good, pliable, uncomplaining citizens. It's a propaganda machine. I, for one, am glad that we still have the freedom to homeschool!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is an interesting article. I agree with what you said about schools not really educating.