Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Interview with Thomas Jefferson

Good afternoon, everyone! For anybody from Challenge 1 who was wondering about those questions for Jefferson, this is what it was all about. After completing the time machine and bringing Jefferson up to speed on what has happened since the early 1800s, he has agreed to do this interview, in which he will answer YOUR questions! At least, I hope he will. Anyway, here he comes now. Welcome to the twenty-first century, Mr. Jefferson.

Me: Let's start off on a light note. Brent*, a friend from my homeschool group asks, "What do you think of the future?"

Jefferson: Well, I must say first of all that I am very impressed by the advances in medicine and other sciences. I find it hard to believe the incredible prosperity achieved in just over 200 years. However, I am quite shocked at the overbearing government.

Me: Well, we're the freest country around.

Jefferson: That's rather sad. We didn't fight the British just to install another form of dictatorship, you know. I am also greatly disturbed by the erosion of states' rights. After all, I myself was a proponent of nullification.

Me: Yes, it is really sad. If anyone today talks about states' rights, secession, or nullification you generally get a bunch of angry looks. But on to other questions. Mr. Bowman, my Challenge tutor, asks, "Did you really believe in the Constitution?"

Jefferson: No, not really. I made it perfectly clear that I am an "anti-Federalist," and opposed the Constitution, it being a great expansion of government power. What particularly concerned me were the "general welfare" and "necessary and proper" clauses.

Me: I'm thinking we should have listened to you.

Jefferson: Indeed. However, I still thought that the Constitution could effectively restrain the government, but it appears that I was wrong. I am greatly disturbed at the way so many sections of it have had their obvious meanings changed.

Me: I know, it's pathetic. Anyway, Alex, also from Challenge, asks, "What do you think about the deficit?"

Jefferson: It's horrifying.

Me: If I'm not mistaken, your administration went into debt from the Louisiana Purchase.

Jefferson: Yes, but I believe that would be far easier to pay off than several trillion dollars. Not to mention, that was a vast amount of territory and would help pay off the debt. Would you have turned it down?

Me: Of course not, that would be downright stupid. Now, Christian asks, "What is your religion?"

Jefferson: I consider myself a Christian.

Me: But you reject the divinity of Christ and question a number of biblical events, correct?

Jefferson: Correct.

Me: Then in today's terms, I think you would fall under the "Deist" category.

Jefferson: Well, definitions have certainly changed.

Me: True enough. Now then, Ashley-

Jefferson: Wait, who? You also never stated who "Christian" was.

Me: Both from my homeschool group. Anyway, Ashley asks, "If you could give any advice to President Obama, what would it be?"

Jefferson: Well, if it had to be short, I would say that it all boils down to this: Do not overstep your constitutional boundaries. The same could be said for Congress.

Me: I strongly agree. Now, the last viewer question is another from Mr. Bowman. He asks, "Why did you take a slave as your mistress?"

Jefferson: *Sighs* I cannot believe that this is still being brought up. That was a false accusation made in a newspaper in 1802 by some fellow named James Caller. In his accusation, he included absolutely no evidence, and later changed the details and the number of children supposedly produced. Besides, my moral standards are far above that.

Me: Then why didn't you reply to it publicly?

Jefferson: I felt that if I did, it would give the accusation more credibility than it deserved.

Me: That's interesting. Funny how the press will take a story and run with it. Now, I would like to know how you feel about the wars that America has been in since the War Between the States.

Jefferson: I think that the Second World War was, at least mostly, justified, but World War One and the "wars" after that were most certainly not! Particularly the Korean "war" and afterwards, since Congress didn't once actually declare war. The other wars, there is very little written about them.

Me: What do you think about the War Between the States, and which side would you have fought on?

Jefferson: Absolutely horrific. It's sad that the Union broke apart, but I would have fought for the Confederacy, of course. The precedents set in that war were truly chilling. Unilateral declaration of war, suspension of habeas corpus, and the worst by far, total war, all are disgusting, but unless I'm mistaken, they seem to have become rather common over the past century.

Me: Sadly, that is very true. Now, I would like to know your opinions on the Patriot Act, suspension of habeas corpus, and the war on terror.

Jefferson: The Patriot Act is completely unconstitutional. Congress's powers are enumerated for a reason. Article I, Section 8 lists, specifically, every single power Congress should have. Spying on its own citizens is not in there. As for the suspension of habeas corpus, the Constitution specifically says that it is permitted only in the cases of rebellion or invasion.

Me: But doesn't habeas corpus only apply to citizens?

Jefferson: Most certainly not! The writ of habeas corpus is a natural right that applies to every single human being. Just like everyone has the right to bear arms, to peaceably assemble, and many others, everyone has the right to due process. Unless, of course, they are an enemy soldier captured in combat. The idea that our rights only apply to our fellow citizens is, in essence, saying that the government gives the rights, instead of simply protecting them.

Me: Once again, agreed. Sadly, it appears that we are out of time. There were a number of other things I would have liked to ask you. It has been an honor talking with you, Mr. Jefferson.

Jefferson: Well, it has certainly been a pleasure talking to you as well. Hopefully this will correct your sloppy historians and politicians.

Me: *Laughs* Sloppy indeed! Well, folks, that's all for now. Next time I will be interviewing the "Father of the Country," George Washington! Feel free to leave your questions in the comments.

*Full names have been omitted.

6 comments:

Wolfgang said...

Haha, that's very creative! Was that an assignment, or something you did on your own? (While you were suppossed to be doing math...)
;)

Drake said...

It was something I came up with spontaneously. I was thinking about different issues, and wondered, "What would Thomas Jefferson think about this?"

By the way, do I know you?

Wolfgang said...

Yes you do.

Drake said...

Care to explain who on earth you are, then?

I don't mind if I don't know you, but if I do, I'd like to know who. Hey, that rhymes...

Wolfgang said...

Andrew.

Drake said...

Ah! Your username really threw me for a loop. I suspected it might be you, but I was baffled by the name. What inspired it?